It is 2016, and I am not even really sure where 2015 went. When I look back on the past year I am amazed at all that my family and I accomplished. It really was jam packed full of activities, growth, and accomplishments. Sometimes the road was smooth, sometimes bumpy, and sometimes it seemed all uphill. When the crystal ball dropped I felt satisfied with how the year transpired. It is now time to breakdown and review my 2015 year of self-care.
My focus last year was self-care. I really did not do as well as I had hoped. I still have extra weight to lose and I still need to make one doctor’s appointment that I put off all last year. That dreaded test you need to get done in your early 50s.
My 2015 Year of Self-Care Review
There were successes in the area of self-care:
- I have made sleep a priority. With the use of a sleep app, I discovered that if I go to bed before 10:30 I got a much better night sleep than if I go to bed at 11:00 or later. It was not just adding more time in bed, but I get a better quality of sleep overall.
- I added meditation to my routine. While I do not medicate daily, I am able to fit it in a few times a week. I find that meditation allows my overactive brain time to rest. This in turn helps lower stress, increase clarity and creativity, and just makes me feel better.
- I had well-check ups and annual appointments with all of my doctors: family practitioner, endocrinologist, gynecologist, dentist.
- With the help of a spine doctor and physical therapy my back is feeling almost 100%.
- I completed an olympic distance triathlon.
- I completed my 30 f0r 30 Move it Challenge.
- I have learned to prioritize my life-work balance.
- Travel that included hiking in Sedona and Aspen; and Skiing in Park City and Aspen.
And there were some failures:
- I never followed throughout with my hydrostatic body fat test. I had it scheduled twice, but both times the test was cancelled; once by me, once by the company. And then I quit training. Since I did not have any event on the calendar I lost my motivation.
- A much less than stellar workout schedule. As I just said, if I do not have a specific event and a date on the calendar, I struggle with staying motivated to keep fitness in the forefront of my daily schedule.
- My diet still needs a lot of improvement. While overall, I feel that I make healthy choices on a regular basis, I am easily sidelined by holidays and celebrations.
- I need to lose weight.
Overall I give myself a grade of B-. I feel as though I made some positive changes and progress in the area of self-care, but there is still a lot of room for improvement. I will continue to work on the areas of healthy eating and a consistent workout schedule.
This will be a part of our overall goal or focus on 2016 which is Organization.
Yes, I am naming 2016 as the year of Organization. I will be starting tomorrow with my bedroom closet and over the course of the year I will be traveling through all of the rooms in our home – the garage included to revamp and reorganize everything! I will also be working on re-organizing my schedule to be sure to include more fitness and healthier eating.
If you want to work on organization this year, grab a binder and come back tomorrow for the reveal of my plan.