This Sweet Potato, Bacon, and Egg Skillet is simply delicious! It is a little bit sweet, a little bit salty, and a whole lot of yum! While this makes a beautiful breakfast dish, for me it is dinner. This dish is hearty!
For breakfast I tend to gravitate to oatmeal and fruit, green smoothies, or yogurt parfaits, and of course my large cup of coffee. The breakfast foods that I love so much, that are just too hearty for my morning appetite, make it onto my dinner menus. This is one of them. I love breakfast for dinner!
Skillet dinners are wonderful for many reasons – they tend to be pretty quick to put together, and the cleanup is minimal. It’s that busy back to school time of year, and Sunday Super is celebrating with Easy Skillet Recipes that are on the table in under an hour. By using just one skillet for the whole meal, clean up is a breeze. Who doesn’t need an array of easy recipes with less mess for those busy nights?!
I love my Shakshuka Recipe – eggs and asparagus cooked in a tomato sauce.
So in that light, I thought I’d create another egg nestled in vegetables skillet dish.
This Sweet Potato, Bacon, and Egg Skillet is full of vegetables! In addition to the sweet potatoes, you will find zucchini, onion, mushrooms, and red peppers – so many colors. Throw in the crispy bacon and you have flavors that perfectly complement each other with a hint of sweet and salty.
Sweet Potato, Bacon, and Egg Skillet Recipe
- 12 ounces of bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 diced sweet potatoes (about a 1/2 inch dice)
- 1 small chopped onion
- A dozen sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 diced zucchini
- 6 large eggs
- Black pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut bacon into 1 inch pieces.
- Heat 12-inch cast iron pan over medium heat and add bacon.
- Cook bacon over medium-low heat to render more fat.
- While the bacon is cooking chop vegetables.
- When the bacon is crisp, remove it from pan with a slotted spoon. Set bacon on paper towel lined plate and set aside.
- Add the diced sweet potato to the remaining bacon fat and turn heat to medium high. Let sweet potatoes cook until soft and browned. Turn the sweet potatoes in the pan as little as possible so they don’t break down.
- When the sweet potatoes have just begun to soften, gently fold in the onion and mushrooms. Continue cooking on medium-high heat for 2 more minutes.
- Add the diced zucchini and red peppers to the sweet potatoes mixture. Gently fold in and continue cooking a few more minutes or until zucchini has just begun to soften.
- Remove from heat and stir in the bacon.
- Gently make 6 wells in the vegetables, and break one egg into each well.
- Place skillet into oven and bake for 9-10 minutes or until the eggs are set. You can bake this longer if you like your eggs more done.
- Sprinkle with fresh ground pepper and enjoy!
What is your favorite Breakfast-for-Dinner recipe?
Looking for delicious easy skillet recipes? Here are some of the best around – recipes for breakfasts, entrees, and even desserts! They are all perfect for this busy back to school time of year. Check them out. Thank you to Liz of That Skinny Chick Can Bake and Marion of Life Tastes Good for hosting this event!
Favorite Skillet Breakfasts
- Sweet Potato, Bacon, and Egg Skillet by Positively Stacey
Favorite Skillet Sides
- Crispy Roasted Sweet Potatoes by Home Sweet Homestead
Favorite Skillet Entrees
- Alex’s Favorite Skillet Meal by The Freshman Cook
- Apple, Squash and Chicken Skillet by The Redhead Baker
- Black Bean and Rice Skillet by Wholistic Woman
- Chakchouka (Tunisian Eggs in Tomato Sauce) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chili Joes by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- How to cook ChopSuey Vegetable Stir Fry with Beef by Asian In America
- Clean Eating Hamburger Helper Skillet by A Mind Full Mom
- Creamy Paprika Chicken & Peppers by My Life Cookbook
- Easy Pink Pasta Skillet by Family Foodie
- Easy Skillet Lasagna by New South Charm
- Greek Turkey Spinach Skillet by Cooking Chat
- Hatch Chile Shakshuka by Helpful Homemade
- Healthy Vegetable Skillet Dinner by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Huevos Rancheros by The Hungry Goddess
- Japanese Korean Tofu Sliders by The Ninja Baker
- Healthy Kielbasa, Brussels Sprouts, Potato & Pear Skillet by Food Done Light
- Kung Pao Chicken by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lemon Fettuccine Alfredo with Chicken and Vegetables by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Loaded Skillet White Pesto Pizza by Crazed Mom
- One Pan Taco Rice Skillet by The Chef Next Door
- One Pot Beef Stroganoff by My World Simplified
- Pork and Sweet Potato Hash by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Pork with Gingered Pluots by Palatable Pastime
- Salsa Chicken Skillet by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Sautéed Gnocchi with Pomodo Crudo by What Smells So Good?
- Smothered Potatoes and Sausage by Sunday Supper Movement
- Spanish Rice and Beef Skillet Dinner by Meal Planning Magic
- Spicy Sausage Pasta Skillet by Caroline’s Cooking
- Summer Squash Frittata by Pies and Plots
- Tamale Pie by Monica’s Table
- Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Skillet by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Veggie-Packed Sloppy Joes by Powered By BLING
- Yellow Rice Skillet by Cricket’s Confections
Favorite Skillet Desserts
- Fudgy Skillet Brownies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie by The Crumby Cupcake
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.