While I am not following the Fast Metabolism Diet from Haylie Pomroy, I do have her book and love many of her recipes. Her recipes are full of healthy ingredients, they are easy to put together, and my family loves them!
Case in point is this Chicken and Barley Soup. I made this the other night after work and the family gobbled it up! Shhh…my youngest even said that it was better than her dad’s version! I reminded her that her dad tends to make beef and barley soup, and they are not the same.
The recipe in the book, The Fast Metabolism Diet, makes 10 servings of 3 cups each. I did not want to make so much, so I halved Haylie’s recipe, and I also increased the amount of chicken. I felt that feeding two teenagers and my husband required a bit more meat. Other than that, I followed the recipe according to the book.
Looking back, I probably should have made the full recipe as the soup would freeze well, and then I would have had a second dinner. As it was though, we had leftovers, and my daughter enjoyed it the following morning for breakfast and lunch. I also packed it for lunch the following day as well. Yes, it was that good!
Chicken and Barley Soup Recipe – FMD Phase One
From The Fast Metabolism Diet by Haylie Pomroy
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 pounds of skinless, boneless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
- 2 cups cubed yellow summer squash
- 2 cubes cubed zucchini
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups barley
- Add four cups of water and the broths to a large soup pot.
- Add the cubed chicken, onion, garlic, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Stir together.
- Bring all ingredients to a boil, then turn to low.
- Allow soup to simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the vegetables and barley to the soup pot.
- Bring back to a boil.
- Turn to low and simmer for another hour – or until vegetables are done to your likeness.
- Serve and enjoy!
As I said this Chicken and Barley Soup was sooo delicious! Yum!
And here is a printable version of the recipe: