I made my turkey chili the other day (minus the zucchini – I just wasn’t feeling the addition of zucchini) with a side of this Corn Spoon Bread – a WW Freestyle recipe. The recipe came from WW (I took a few liberties and made a couple of changes), and it was the perfect accompaniment to my turkey chili. In fact, after having it for dinner, I have enjoyed leftovers for lunch three days in a row. Yes, I can enjoy the same meal day after day when it is as yummy as this. Plus the fact that this last week was one rainy day after another, having a cup of warm chili and corn bread for lunch was a touch of comfort food in our school staff room.
Corn Spoon Bread – A WW Freestyle Recipe
- 2 Cups Fat-Free Evaporated Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 Cup Cornmeal
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Fat-Free Egg Substitute
- 1 Egg, large
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 3/4 Cup Frozen Corn
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Place fact-free evaporated milk and sugar in a saucepan and warm over medium-low heat until you see a bit of steam.
- Remove milk from hear and gradually whisk in cornmeal.
- Return saucepan to stove and continue cooking over medium-low heat. Stir constantly and until cornmeal mixture is very thick.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg, egg substitute, salt, pepper, and baking powder.
- Gradually whisk cornmeal mixture into the egg mixture until throughly blended together.
- Fold in frozen corn.
- Pour mixture in casserole dish and bake until puffed and golden brown, about 45 minutes.
Makes eight servings. Each serving is 5 WW Freestyle points each.