I love a great bowl of chili, and nothing goes better with chili than a sweet, moist serving of cornbread. I have an all-time favorite Chili Cheese Cornbread recipe that I make for special occasions. That recipe is sweet, full of butter, cheese and honey. That recipe easts like a dessert; that is why I save it for special occasions and parties. Today’s vegan cornbread muffin recipe is my go-to for a weeknight bite of cornbread.
This vegan cornbread muffin recipes is the perfect accompaniment to my Easy Weeknight Chili. Plus, since these are made into muffins, I wrap half of the muffins in plastic wrap and toss them in the freezer for another meal later in the month. Now that we are empty-nesters, one batch is more than we need at one time.
Not only is this recipe vegan, it is also oil-free. So let’s get to it…
Vegan Cornbread Muffin Recipe
- 1½ tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- Prepare muffin tin or place muffin liners into pan. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Stir the almond milk and the flaxseed together in a small bowl; set aside for 5 minutes to allow the flaxseed to gel.
- In another bowl, combine dry ingredients: cornmeal, oat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to fully mix.
- In a large bowl, mix together applesauce and maple syrup.
- Add in flaxseed mixture.
- Mix in dry ingredients and stir until well-combined, but avoid over-mixing. Add the corn kernels.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center. Serve warm.
So easy and yummy! Like I said it goes great with my Easy Weeknight Chili for a totally delicious plant-based dinner. Or enjoy it along side a nice green salad for lunch. No matter how you enjoy it – you will be pleased!