Three years ago, my husband and I downsized our home. We literally cut our home’s square footage in half. We also went from an oversized three-car garage to a standard two-car garage. We lost a lot – I mean loads of closet space, kitchen counter space, and laundry room space – when we moved. Today I am sharing 9 Ways in which Tackling Clutter Can Enhance Your Wellbeing.
We are also a bended family. That larger home was our first home as a family and we had five of our six children living with us. We all brought a lot of stuff to that home. Many beloved belongings that were collected over time all came together into our first home.
Downsizing forced us to do some serious decluttering! But even today, it is an ongoing process. We have started to redo our garage with built in cabinets. The garage has been measured and the cabinets have been ordered. So again, I need to work on purging unnecessary belongings. That means tackling many of the sentimental items, the just-in-case I need them items, and the rarely used items stored away in our bursting garage space.
The good news is there is a deadline. When the cabinets arrive, there garage needs to be ready!
I know that we are not alone. As humans, we all have a habit of collecting and accumulating clutter. Often, our cupboards are full of gadgets and accessories we don’t use anymore. Have you considered having a rummage through your cupboards and your home and eliminating clutter from your spaces?
Did you know that removing clutter from your workspace or your home can have significant benefits on your wellbeing? From bringing down your stress levels to helping you become more productive, a good clear-out can be wonderfully therapeutic. I know that it feels wonderful to have my space organized and clean.
9 Ways in which Tackling Clutter Can Enhance Your Wellbeing
Consider these benefits:
- A tidy space leads to a tidy mind. When you start removing clutter from the places you spend your time, they immediately feel more spacious. You’ll start noticing you have more room to move and your space will be more enjoyable to be in.
- A tidy space is airier, roomier, and cozier. By decluttering your space, you’ll feel more relaxed, calmer, and able to focus your thoughts, simply because the space around you will feel calmer too
- A tidy space is easier to clean. If clutter is successfully eliminated from an area, then everything in that space has a purpose. You’ll find decluttered spaces are easier to clean, too, because you don’t have to deal with a lot of items just being in your way. This one thing cuts down on frustration.
- In turn, a cleaner house will have a more relaxing feeling to it and will be a more pleasant place to unwind and spend time.
- Everything will be easier to find. When you eradicate clutter from your spaces, you only have everything you need on hand. You can spend less time looking for things and more time putting things in easier, convenient spaces. This means less time tidying, more time enjoying your valuable time.
- Free yourself from emotional baggage. Clutter can hold painful memories. Whether you’re holding on to clutter from a past relationship or you’re keeping hold of something you don’t want or need, taking the opportunity to declutter can make you feel more positive and in control.
- Own your space. Removing clutter can give you a sense of achievement. You can take ownership of your space by removing clutter. You can emotionally remove yourself from the past and start looking towards the future.
- Remove dust and dirt. Clutter can hold onto dust, dirt, and grime. By simply removing this clutter from your home, you may find your home feels fresher. Dust can cause allergies and an uncomfortable environment, so eliminating clutter could improve your breathing and general health.
- More space for entertaining and activities. Clutter can compromise valuable space that could be better served hosting dinner guests, entertaining, or even working on activities you enjoy. This can strengthen your well-being and bring entertainment to your life.
- Redecorate and reevaluate. When you declutter, you have the opportunity to reinvigorate your space. Create a space you enjoy being in. This will bring you more happiness and the health benefits that go along with greater happiness.
- Create your own new beginning. Decluttering allows you to say goodbye to old memories and look forward to a new start. With more space, less emotional baggage, and the chance to take ownership of your possessions, you can focus on looking to the future without the ties of the past.
Decluttering is so much more than just getting rid of old belongings. You can move on from emotional connections from painful memories. You are giving yourself the space to move forwards. There are health benefits to removing clutter and dust. You can find things more easily and will be able to enjoy a clean, stress-free space.
So the garage clean out begins in earnest! I will keep you posted.