My slow cooker chicken tacos recipe is one of the easiest dinners ever to put together! Seriously 10 minutes to start, let it cook all day, and then another 10 minutes to put it together and you have dinner on the table. Yes, it really is that easy!
I simply love coming home from work and having dinner good to go! Just today after school/work, we had a doctors appointment, a water polo game, homework, and taekwondo to add into the afternoon and evening mix. On days like this, the best way to ensure a healthy dinner is to pull out my trusty slow cooker.
I honestly don’t use my slow cooker enough, and every time I use it – I shake my head in surprise. Surprise with myself in that I don’t use my slow cooker more often. I think the problem is that years ago I tried a number of recipes, and I wasn’t that happy with the results. Fortunately over time, I have found ones that I really do like and that are total recipe keepers. My slow cooker chicken tacos recipe is a keeper for sure.
An added bonus of this recipe is that with the veggies in the taco fixings and a topping of shredded cabbage you are set for a healthy and delicious dinner. If you like tomatoes add a few chopped tomatoes on the top as well! I had some guacamole in the fridge that needed to be used up, so that went on as a topping. A side of sliced melon adds a touch of sweetness for dessert.
When I had the chance to interview Ellie Kreiger of the Food Network she shared with me her recipe for Chicken with White Bean and Vegetable Simmer.
That was the first time that I had tried a recipe with Campbell’s Healthy Requests Condensed Tomato Soup as an ingredient.
I loved it in the Chicken with White Bean and Vegetable Simmer, so I have tried it in a few other recipes. Along with salsa, the soup makes a super easy and tasty base for today’s tacos.
Fast, delicious, and healthy – this has got it all!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos Recipe
- 2 pounds of skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 can Campbell’s Healthy Requests Condensed Tomato Soup
- 1/2 medium onion sliced (about one cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1 can corn, rinsed
- 3/4 cup Pace salsa or picante sauce
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 12 corn tortillas
- chopped tomatoes (optional)
- guacamole (optional)
- Mix together the soup, onion, chili pepper, cumin, and garlic in a 4-quart slow cooker.
- Add chicken halves to the sauce and turn until well coated.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or until the chicken is fork-tender.
- When the chicken is ready, pull it out of the sauce to a cutting board or platter.
- Stir the black beans, corn, and salsa into the slow cooker until mixed. Set slow cooker temperature to high to heat the additional ingredients.
- Using two forks gently shred the chicken.
- Add chicken back into the slow cooker and stir until well coated.
- Turn off slow cooker and serve chicken on warmed corn tortillas topped with cabbage, tomatoes, guacamole or other favorite taco toppings.