Oh, how sweet crêpes are! I fell in love with crêpes on my visit to France. Actually, my daughter, Nicole, a crêpe connoisseur helped me fall in love with these sweet, delectable, light pastries. Everywhere we traveled throughout France, Nicole had to buy a fruit filled crêpes, as they sold them from street vendors everywhere we wandered. Tucked into paper cones – Nicole would enjoy the treat while we walked the sights. While I enjoyed my espresso in the cafes, she would savor yet another crêpe. I had enjoyed crêpes before my visit to France, but the French ones were out of this world delicious!
Crêpes can be enjoyed both as a savory and a sweet treat. Nicole enjoyed them with strawberries and whipped cream as well as the Nutella version. Pretty much a you can fill a crêpe with lots of yummy fillings. My daughter Alyssa and I enjoyed some mouthwatering savory crêpes at La Creperie du Village in Aspen.
Perfect with a glass of wine!
Whether you prefer the sweet or the savory – crêpes are delicious and surprisingly easy to make!
Crêpe Recipe for National Crêpes Day – March 22
Maybe today in honor of National Crêpes Day is the day to give it a try! Sometimes, I will add a dash of vanilla, but it is not really needed. This recipe that I have been using makes about a dozen crêpes. You can make them up ahead of time and stack them between parchment paper. Cover tightly with foil, and they keep fine for at least 24 hours.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and the eggs.
- Gradually add in the milk and water, stirring to combine.
- Add the salt and butter; beat until smooth.
- Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat.
- Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop the batter onto the griddle.
- Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.
- Cook the crepe for about 2 minutes, until the bottom is light brown.
- Loosen with a spatula, turn and cook the other side.
What is your favorite crêpe filling? Do you prefer sweet or savory? Strawberries with whipped cream or Nutella with bananas? Cheese and smoked salmon? Beef in a deep red wine sauce? There really are so many wonderful ways to fill a crêpe!
Happy National Crêpes Day!