I am a huge goal setter, but life is not always about achieving an objective. Most of our days are about doing, about actions, about creating experiences. It is my day-to-day interactions that bring me joy. Every day I try to create a beautiful life. I do this for myself and for those around me. How? By trying to live in the moment, by making connections with others, by building relationships, and by caring for myself. When you take the time to create a life list, you are creating a gentle reminder to cherish the life you have.
What Is a Life List?
A life list is about experiences. In addition to my inspiration board and the list of goals that I’m always working on, I keep a life list. I know some people think of a life list as synonymous with a bucket list, but I look at the two of them as being different. My bucket list is my list of goals. It is my list of activities and accomplishments that I am working towards. My life list is about how to act on a daily basis. This list helps me keep a positive perspective.
This is my life list; it is a list of thirteen personal mandates. These thirteen directives help me savor each and every day. They remind me that life is precious, and yes, I have learned life can change in an instant.
My Life List:
- Let the people I love know that I love them.
- Bring the family together at the dinner table.
- Start each morning with a great cup of coffee. Savor the aroma.
- Look others in the eye when talking.
- Treat my body well.
- Be creative every day.
- Wander through museums, pick up a book to read, challenge my mind.
- Hike. Surround myself with nature.
- Notice when others do something well and let them know.
- Say thank you.
- Spend time with friends.
- Be more interested in other people, ask them questions – get to know them.
- Make time for God
Create a Life List
and to appreciate each day as the gift it is.