This cream of broccoli soup is long in the sharing! Last spring – right before our shut down, there was a large bag of broccoli left over from our school lunch program. So I took home a bag of broccoli and made up a pot of cream of broccoli soup. I made so much I took a crock pot full to school and it was gobbled up before lunch time. It really is the best cream of broccoli soup recipe.
This soup is now a regular addition to our soup repertoire. It is delicious, easy to make, healthy, and simply beautiful. A bowl of this cream green soup is stunning! Plus for my fellow WW friends – this soup made with low-fat milk is only 6 blue points a serving.
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided (2 and 3)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 8 cups broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk (low-fat)
- ground black pepper to taste
- In large sized stock pot, melt 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Add onion and celery and saute until tender.
- Add broccoli florets and broth, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and using an immersion blender, puree the soup right in the cooking pot (If you don’t have an immersion blender you can batch the soup and blend in a blender. Filling your blender half full at a time – hold down the lid of the blender with a folded kitchen towel, pulse the soup mixture until it is pureed. Puree in batches until smooth and pour into a clean pot.)
- Separately, in small saucepan, over medium-heat melt 3 tablespoons butter, stir in flour and add milk. Whisk continuously until thick and bubbly. (This is the trickiest part!) This will take 3 – 5 minutes. When it is ready, you will smell a light nutty smell and it will be a nice blonde color.
- Add roux to soup. Stir to fully mix and thicken the soup.
- Season with pepper and serve.
You will find the printable recipe below.
Lots of people truly loved this soup and asked me to make them a second batch 🙂 Another super easy soup that we really enjoy in our family, and is only 3 Blue WW points is this Chicken Cilantro Wonton Soup. Super yummy as well!
I love soups as I find them to be very filling and there are so many yummy recipes! What are some of your favorite soups?