Creativity is the ability to imagine, problem-solve, and express, allowing us to make something new. A blank canvas can become the mirror of our expression. Sometimes this creation will be physical, a painted piece of furniture, a redecorated room, a beautiful celebration cake, but sometimes it is intangible, a problem solved, a new approach, or the bringing together of an effective team.
Creativity is important. It helps us in business, at home, and perhaps most important – it affects us on a personal level.
- Creativity gives us a sense of freedom – there is not right or wrong. It allows us to express ourselves in new ways, try new things, see what works.
- Creativity is a stress releaser – creating is meditative. Whipping up a dish in the kitchen, taking photos at the park, drawing in a sketch pad – doing what we love makes us happy. Using our hands and minds to create something new brings us joy.
- Creativity allows us to know ourselves – the more we express the more more we explore what is within us. This allows us to spend time getting to know and understand our own thinking.
So with so many benefits of creativity, it is important to nourish the “artist” within all of us. As parents we seem to know that time to be creative is important for our children. Many parents set up an artist corner in their home stocking it with all kinds of objects that allow kids to create. But what about you?
As adults it is important to allow yourself the time to create. So where do you start? Well to practice creativity you need to create something. Make something new, something that did not exist before. Here are a few ways to get your creative juices flowing.
10 Ways To Live A More Creative Life
- Give yourself the time to be creative. It all starts with giving yourself the time to explore and create something new. So first and foremost – you need the time. Ten minutes is a starting point. But more is even better. Make a routine of giving yourself creative breaks. Then get started.
- Doodle- get out a paper and pencil and simple doodle. Get out a black pen and turn it into a zentangle. I have taught students how to zentangle simply because it is sooo relaxing! And really it is just a more elaborate form of doodling. I have seen some very beautiful designs created by friends, Try it. You cannot go wrong.http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx7RM_Q6Spk
- Flash Write – Again this just takes paper and pen. Give yourself ten minutes and write. Write anything that comes into your mind. Go outside and let your senses register your surroundings. Write down what you see, hear, feel, smell, taste. Focus on your senses. Write a letter to yourself 10 years from now – write a letter to your 12 year old self. Write a poem. You get the point – just write.
- Sketch something. Start a sketch book. Take 10 minutes and sketch that cup of morning coffee. Sketch a copy of your favorite picture, your pet, a flower. Don’t censure yourself, just let it happen and you will be surprised with your results.
- Learn something new. Sign up for a class and learn a new skill. What have you always wanted to learn? I signed up for a ceramics class a few years back. I loved it! I also took a one day class at a Museum where we had a live nude male to sketch. We practiced sketching with different mediums and did lots of quick sketches. It has hard and fun. And something that I had never done before!
- Build something. Have you ever used a hammer and nails? Start with something small like a bird house. Use wire, old panty hose, and some acrylic paint to create a sculpture.
- Start a garden – This can be a small container garden, terrarium, or a larger vegetable garden. Plant some seeds and cultivate your own space.
- Cook or bake something new. The kitchen is an excellent place to create. Try a new recipe or create you own.
- Grab your camera, take a neighborhood walk, and snap some photos. Try to see your everyday surroundings in a new and up close kind of way. Look at everything with fresh eyes. You will most likely see things that you have never noticed before.
- Take a Mind Vacation – or in other words, give yourself the time to day dream. Travel anywhere in the world via your mind. Where would you go? What would you do? Let your mind wander and create the perfect experience in you mind.
There really are so many ways to easily and quickly get your creative juices flowing. And as we all know – being creative, allowing ourselves the time to create – is great for our mind and our soul. So what are you waiting for? Go out and create!