I just got home from a quick ladies’ getaway to beautiful Lake Tahoe. This was a spur of the moment trip. A friend had a booked timeshare unit that she was no longer able to use, a friend recently lost the love of her life – her soulmate, a few of us were available to get away; and so we did. A few days devoted to friendship, healing, laughter, and some tears. The power of friends should never, ever, be underestimated.
While we were there we visited Garwoods the home of wooden boats and their famous Wet Woodys. Sitting overlooking the lake we had a delicious dinner. I enjoyed their Niçoise salad topped with grilled salmon. Yum!
And this had me thinking of a favorite Niçoise Rice Salad that I love and make at home.
This Niçoise Rice Salad recipe came to me from a cooking class that I took at Kitchen on Fire in Berkeley, CA. This is the same cooking school that my husband and stepson took a class at as well. They learned how to make sushi and you can read all about their class here.
The class I took was with my daughter. This was a Christmas gift for her one year. She loves to cook and has her own blog, Eating Right With Every Bite. We learned a few new recipes in our class, but the one that has really stuck with me and has become part of my regular cooking routine is this Niçoise Salad.
Unlike a typical green salad, this Niçoise Salad is made with rice instead. A nice way to change it up, and the rice holds the flavor so well! We especially enjoy this meal after a long bike ride or workout when we really are craving a few more carbs. There are so many layers of flavor built into this salad starting with the dressing and then topped of with the olives, anchovies, green beans, hard boiled egg, and tomatoes. It looks as beautiful as it tastes!
Niçoise Rice Salad Recipe
From Kitchen on Fire Serves 6-8
- 2 − 3 cups Cooked White Rice
- 2-3 cups Fresh Green Beans, blanched for 4-6 minutes or just tender, and cut into 2 inch lengths
- 2 medium Carrots, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 tablespoons Shallots, finely minced
- 2-3 tablespoons Fresh Thyme or Oregano, finely chopped
- 4 Tomatoes, cut into wedges
- Two 3-ounce Cans Chunk Tuna, preferably oil-packed and coarsely crumbled
- 2 − 3 tablespoons Capers, rinsed and drained.
- 6 Hard-boiled Eggs, Peeled and wedged
- 1 freshly opened can of Anchovy fillets
- 1/3 cup Black Niçoise-type olives
- 4 tablespoons Fresh Parsley, finely chopped, divided. Some for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Whisk together the vinegar, mustard, shallots, thyme, some parsley and season with salt and pepper. Let marinade for 10-15 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the oil until will emulsified.
- Mix the tuna, green beans and capers with some vinaigrette into a large bowl.
- When well coated with dressing add the rice and mix gently, add some more dressing if needed.
- Place in a large serving bowl and place tomatoes, anchovies, eggs, and black olives on top decoratively. Sprinkle with remaining parsley. ( I plated mine individually this time)
- Serve and enjoy!
Below is your printable version. Let me know if you enjoy this recipe. I’d love to hear from you!