Not too long ago I met my husband for a lunch date, and he took me to this little out of the way Greek restaurant. It was fun to meet during the middle of a week – an unexpected turn to a busy day. The restaurant, decked out in Greek decor, made me feel like we were on the set of My Big Fat Greek Wedding. A fun, lively place filled with the aroma of all things Mediterranean. I ordered the most amazing Greek lamb burger – it was delicious. And I have been craving a repeat ever since that day. Unfortunately, the restaurant is not close by home – so I have worked on developing my own version.
The weather is warming up and it is finally time to get the grill going! Last weekend was our first backyard dinner of the season. It feels good to get the patio furniture uncovered and the cushions set back out. I love entertaining outside – hanging with friends and enjoying good food under the warmth of the late afternoon sun. The grill is the perfect place to cook up my tasty lamb burgers.
This recipe is full of flavor! The lamb is mixed with mint, onion, and loads of Mediterranean goodness. It is topped with a cucumber yogurt dressing along with sliced red onion, juicy red tomato, and baby spinach. All layered in between a toasted-on-the-grill ciabatta roll. This burger is down right mouth-watering oh-my-goodness delicious! Served with a Greek inspired green salad and roasted red potato wedges – every bite will have flavors dancing in your mouth. Dancing the Zorba no less. So get your feet stepping, hands clapping, and hear the Greek music within. This Greek lamb burger will make your day!
Greek Lamb Burger Recipe
- 1 whole-wheat pita, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pound lean ground lamb
- a handful of baby spinach
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- crumbled feta
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- 2/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 cup peeled, seeded and finely diced cucumber
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Start by making the dressing first. This way the flavors can meld while is sits in the refrigerator and you prepare and grill the burgers. Mix together yogurt, mint, garlic, mustard, and honey in a bowl. Stir in cucumber and season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Place chopped pita bread in a bowl and pour milk over bread. Let bread soak for five minutes. After five minutes drain and squeeze out all excess milk.
- Place soaked bread, onion, garlic, mint, oregano, and lemon juice into food processor and purée.
- Transfer purée to a bowl and throughly mix in ground lamb. Add salt and pepper.
- Form into patties. Lightly intend middle of each patty with your finger to create a small dent. This helps keep the burger from ballooning in the middle on the grill.
- These patties are really moist and a bit sticky, so I like to grill them on my pizza grill pan. Spray pan with non-stick cooking spray and place pan directly onto the grill.
- Grill for 2 to 3 minutes over high heat. Turn patties and continue grilling for another 2-3 minutes.
- Butter sliced ciabatta rolls and place on grill butter side down. Heat until grill marks are golden brown and rolls are toasty.
- Start building your Greek lamb burger! Spread dressing on toasted roll, top with burger, sliced onion, tomato, feta cheese, and more dressing.
Here is to the Sunday Super Movement for getting us out and using our grills! I’d like to especially thank Sue Lau from A Palatable Pastime and Renee Pajestka from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures for organizing this event. Check out more amazing recipes and throw something on the barbie!
- Grilled Peach and Pineapple Sangria by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Let’s Get This BBQ Started!
- Bruschetta with Grilled Bread by Wholistic Woman
- Cilantro Lime Grilled Shrimp with Pineapple Salsa by Taste And See
- Grilled Avocado with Cilantro-Lime Cream by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
The Main Event
- Bison Sliders with Special Sauce by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Bourbon & Brown Sugar Marinated Grilled Steak by Books n’ Cooks
- Buffalo Wing Burger by Red Cottage Chronicles
- Chicken Mazatlan by Palatable Pastime
- Greek Lamb Burgers by Positively Stacey
- Grilled Avocado with Confetti Shrimp Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Grilled Shrimp Corn Salad with Avocado Vinaigrette by Food Lust People Love
- Grilled Duck with a Red Wine Reduction by Monica’s Table
- Grilled London Broil Steak Tacos by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Pork and Pineapple Salad by Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Ribeye with Simple Spice Rub by Cooking Chat
- Grilled Salami Sandwich by Magnolia Days
- Grilled Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Hawaiian Chicken Kebabs by Moore or Less Cooking
- Grilled Honey Balsamic Chicken by Alida’s Kitchen
- Grilled Tuna Steaks with Orange Tomato Sauce by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Tuna Steaks with Strawberry Mango Salsa by simple and savory
- Honey Mustard Grilled Pork Chops by My World Simplified
- How to Grill Salmon and Shrimps in Banana Leaves by Asian In America
- Lemon Herbed Yogurt Chicken Kabobs by Momma’s Meals
- The Best Baby Back Ribs Ever!! by A Day in the Life on the Farm
On a Side Note
- Easy Garlicky Grilled Polenta by She Loves Biscotti
- Easy Grilled Artichokes by April Golightly
- Grilled Asparagus with Lemon and Manchego Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grilled Cantaloupe Salad with Queso Fresco and Herbs by Cooking With Carlee
- Grilled Corn with Herb Butter by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Grilled Vegetable Pasta Salad by Cookin’ Mimi
Saucy Sentiments and Rebellious Rubs
- Homemade Burger Sauce by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Homemade Coffee Steak Rub by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Grilled Banana Boats by Our Good Life
- Grilled Blueberry Cobbler by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Dessert Pizza by Baking Sense
- Grilled Pineapple with Vanilla Sorbet by The Chef Next Door
- Grilled Strawberry & Blue Basil Granita by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Super Simple Grilled Peaches by And She Cooks
Plus Piri Piri Sauce and Recipes for Summer Grilling from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement