When you have a hungry teenage boy in the house, and he is suddenly diagnosed with food allergies, you learn a whole new way of cooking and baking. Especially baking. Or making anything that contains flour. Well let me tell you, these allergy free chocolate chip pancakes are absolutely delicious!
My challenge is to make tasty healthy food that is wheat free, egg free, dairy free, soy free, nut free, sesame free, fish free, and shellfish free. Surprisingly, dinner is the easy part – meat, potatoes, vegetables, fruit, olive oil, and lots of grains are our mainstay. Dinner leftovers have become a brown bagged lunch standard. Breakfast is most often oatmeal and fruit or cheerios with banana and rice milk.
But sometimes you want a treat. Sometimes you want a muffin, cookie, or even pancakes. It is the baking part that has become a new learning experience. I have enjoyed trying a lot of new flours – sometimes it works out and sometimes…not so much. After Dom was telling me how much he missed pizza, I thought I’d give it a try. Well. my pizza crust was a flop. And the lack of dairy was a problem as well. It really was too much like a piece of cardboard. Uggh! Surprisingly, the pizza was eaten up. That just means that a hungry teenage boy will eat most anything. 🙂
These pancakes on the other hand – are delicious! We all loved the lightness and the hint of buckwheat (which is not a wheat at all, rather it is related to rhubarb). Buckwheat has a strong almost hoppy flavor that is toned down with the mix of oat flour. The chocolate chips add the perfect amount of sweetness and decadence to this weekend morning breakfast.
This recipe is a keeper!
Allergy Free Chocolate Chip Pancakes Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 3 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups enriched rice milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Replacer mixed with 4 tablespoons enriched rice milk.
- 1 cup (approximately) Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips
- Sliced bananas (optional)
- Maple syrup (optional)
- Heat griddle to medium high.
- Blend oat flour and buckwheat flour, baking powder, and salt in large bowl.
- Combine rice milk with honey and canola oil.
- Add milk mixture to dry flour mixture and mix briefly until blended. Mixture will be a bit lumpy.
- Stir in egg replacer.
- Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup pour pancake batter onto heated griddle.
- Sprinkle mini chocolate chips onto pancakes.
- Cook until bubbles appear and pop. Lightly lift edge of pancake – if golden brown flip over and cook until done.
- Top pancakes with sliced banana and maple syrup.
Sooo delicious!!!! And free of the top nine allergens! I am working on building more and more recipes that my stepson can eat. Like I said – this allergy free chocolate chip pancakes recipe is a keeper!