I love cooking chicken breasts in my Instant Pot. It is so easy and fast. Plus, I can count on it turning out perfect every time. I have been enjoying it so much (and cooking chicken breast every week by the Instant Pot loads), that I have hunted out new recipes for shredded chicken breast. This Chicken Enchilada Casserole – a WW Freestyle dinner recipe is a keeper! Easy and delicious! Plus who would of thought that you could enjoy an enchilada dinner for only 4 Smart Points?
The addition of mushrooms and zucchini give it an extra nutritional boost for zero points. The onion, garlic and adobo sauce give it a flavorful kick. And the corn tortillas, melted cheese, and sour cream topping give it the decadence an enchilada dish should have. What’s not to love? Now, my husband called this a Mexican lasagna, and he is right. This dish with the layered effect does have a lasagna feel, but the flavors are purely south of the border savory and spice.
The adobo sauce gives it a sweet, smokey and peppery kick. Adjust the amount of adobo sauce depending on your taste buds. I prefer a little bit less, my husband loves it full force! The reduced-fat sour cream is the perfect balance to the heat should you go big.
- Cooking Spray
- 1 1⁄2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 cups Chopped Yellow Onion, divided
- 16 oz. Cremini Mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Medium Zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and sliced 1/4-in thick
- 1 1⁄2tsp Salt, divided
- 28 oz. Canned Diced Tomatoes, fire-roasted and undrained
- Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce – Add amount to taste.
- 4 Cloves Garlic, smashed
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 12 oz Shredded Cooked Chicken Breasts, boneless and skinless
- 18 Corn Tortillas, 4-in each
- 6 oz. Shredded Mexican Cheese, low-fat
- 3/4 Cups Sour Cream, low-fat
- Preheat oven 425°F. and coat a 9- X 13-in baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat on stove top.
- Add 2 cups chopped onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent just 3 minutes.
- Add zucchini, mushrooms, and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened about 15 minutes.
- While the vegetables cook, make the sauce. Put tomatoes, chipotle, remaining 1 cup chopped onion, smashed garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano and remaining 1 tsp salt into a blender or food processor and puree.
- Transfer cooked vegetables to a medium mixing bowl.
- Mix in shredded chicken and 1 cup tomato sauce.
- Spread 1/2 cup tomato sauce in the bottom of your baking dish; top with 6 tortillas.
- Top with half of the chicken mixture and 1/2 cup cheese; top with 6 more tortillas.
- Spread remaining chicken mixture and another 1/2 cup cheese.
- Top with remaining 6 tortillas.
- Spread remaining sauce on top and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake until golden, bubbling, and heated all the way through – about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit 5-10 minutes.
- Serve each piece with 1 Tbsp sour cream
Serving size: 1/12th of casserole and 1 Tbsp sour cream = 4 WW Smart Points
Serve this Chicken Enchilada Casserole with a side green salad with 2 tablespoons fat-free Ranch dressing (1 point) and 1 cup cubed cantaloupe (zero points) for a delicious, healthy, and very satisfying dinner – all for only 5 points! That’s what I call a winner dinner!
And I Love my Instant Pot!
In full disclosure to all of my reading friends – this post contains affiliate links. Which means should you choose to click on a link and purchase this product from Amazon, I will receive a very small percentage of the sale.