Happy Pina Colada Day! Yes, today is National Pina Colada Day. That is a good thing! Having just returned home from a week in Puerto Vallarta where I enjoyed many frothy Pina Coladas beach side, I am all about celebrating today!
Celebrating with Creamy Dairy-Free Vegan Coconut Ice Cream topped with pineapple and shredded coconut!
As you know, we love ice cream in our family. I have written many posts sharing our family’s undying devotion to the most yummiest and creamiest desserts ever known. As a child we made ice cream often with our tall hand-crank wooden ice cream maker. My dad’s rule was if you didn’t help make the ice cream, you did not get to enjoy any of the ice cream! He most definitely held to that rule.
We learned quickly that everyone had to take a turn at cranking the metal handle and when the turning became too difficult, we were to sit on the machine helping hold it in place, while my dad continued turning the handle.
That old ice cream machine eventually gave out, but my dad continues to insists on making ice cream with a hand crank. He was able to find one for purchase a few years back. Today all of my kids know Poppa’s ice cream making rules, and they all pitch in willing to help. It really is a delicious family tradition!
I, on the other hand, enjoy my electric ice cream making machine. It does the same job as my dad’s but I get to plug it in and walk away. 30 minutes later – we get to enjoy fresh ice cream.
We have one child that is dealing with EOE and cannot eat dairy, egg, soy, plus other food items. Traditional ice cream is off the table for Dom. He has discovered coconut milk based ice cream and really enjoys having this for a treat. I decided to try making it here at home – it is soooooo easy! And the kids exclaim, they LOVE it!
Not surprisingly, this ice cream tastes of light coconut. My kids love the addition of chocolate chips (keeping this safe from the top nine allergens, I use Enjoy Life) for a chocolate chip and coconut flavored ice cream. I think the coconut ice cream blends perfectly with pineapple and a few shreds of fresh coconut. YUM! A taste of this and I am right back beach side enjoying the warm water of Mexico.
Try out this recipe! You will be happy that you did.
Creamy Dairy-Free Vegan Coconut Ice Cream Recipe
- 4 (13.5-ounce) cans coconut milk
- 1 cup agave syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Enjoy Life milk chocolate chips
- Chunked pineapple
- Shredded coconut for garnish
- Vigorously shake cans of coconut milk – It separates as it sits and needs to be fully mixed together before you pour it out.
- Pour one cup of coconut milk and set aside.
- Pout all remaining coconut milk into a medium sauce pan and begin heating on low.
- Add 1 cup of agave syrup to sauce pan and stir until syrup is fully incorporated. Continue heating on medium low for 2 minutes.
- Add salt and mix in. Continue heating on low.
- Add cornstarch to reserved cup of coconut milk and whisk until fully blended.
- Pour cornstarch/coconut milk mix into coconut milk in the saucepan and heat on medium low. Whisk until fully blended.
- Heat coconut milk mixture over medium heat, occasionally stirring, until the mixture thickens. It should thicken enough to coat the backside of a wooden spoon. About 8 minutes.
- Add vanilla and remove from heat.
- Pour mixture into a pyrex dish and let set at room temperature to begin cooling down.
- Once cooled, cover with plastic wrap and place mixture into the refrigerator to cool completely. About four hours.
- Once coconut mixture is cooled it will be the consistency of pudding. Place this mixture into your ice cream making machine and add in chocolate chips. Follow the directions for your machine and process until it is the consistency of a soft serve ice cream. Mine takes about 30 minutes using my electric ice cream machine layered with ice and rock salt.
- Remove canister of ice cream from machine, remove center paddle, and place container directly into the freezer to further set the coconut ice cream.
- Scoop and enjoy! For National Pina Colada Day – I am adding chunked pineapple and shredded coconut to mine!
For the love of coconut, I am not the only one celebrating National Pina Colada Day! Check out all of these other amazing recipes that are paying homage to delicious coconut and some with pineapple! Thank you to Constance from Cosmopolitan Cornbread and Shelby from Grumpy’s Honeybunch for hosting this event and bringing all of these delicious recipes together to be shared.
- Gluten Free Coconut French Toast by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Make Ahead Healthy Piña Colada Breakfast Parfait by Easy Cooking with Molly
- Piña Colada Granola (grain free) by My Life Cookbook
- Piña Colada Nut Bread by Where Latin Meets Lagniappe
- Piña Colada Overnight Oats by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Piña Colada Pancakes by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
Dive in with Sides and Appetizers
- Coconut Shrimp with Piña Colada Sauce by From Gate to Plate
- Easy Piña Colada Salad by April Golightly
- Piña Colada Coleslaw by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Coco-Nutty Main Dishes
- Chickpea Potato Curry by Sunday Supper Movement
- Piña Colada Chicken and Rice by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Piña Colada Chicken Skewers by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pineapple Barbecue Chops with Colada Slaw by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Slow cooker Pineapple Chicken Curry by Caroline’s Cooking
- Coconut Pound Cake by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Cookies and Coconut Cream Popsicles by Books n’ Cooks
- Creamy Dairy-Free Vegan Coconut Ice Cream by Positively Stacey
- Easy Piña Colada Fudge by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Easy Piña Colada Poke Cake by Crazed Mom
- Homemade Samoas by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- How to make a Piña Colada Flan by Asian In America
- Island Breeze Piña Colada Panna Cotta by The Weekend Gourmet
- Kheer by What Smells So Good?
- Mini Roasted Blueberry and Coconut Cream Trifles by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Piña Colada Bars by Dessert Geek
- Piña Colada Cream Pie by Cookin’ Mimi
- Piña Colada Cupcakes by The Redhead Baker
- Piña Colada Energy Balls by Wholistic Woman
- Piña Colada Ice Cream by Palatable Pastime
- Piña Colada Rice Pudding by Hardly A Goddess
- Piña Colada Trifle by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Piña Colada Tropical Fruit Cups with Coconut Yogurt Dip by The Hungry Goddess
- Piña Colada Upside Down Cake by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Pineapple Coconut Pudding by Magnolia Days
- Samoa Smacky Delicious Mix by Cooking With Carlee
- Toasted Coconut Sour Cherry Sundae by Pies and Plots
- Tropical Fruit Cups by The Freshman Cook
Sweet to Sip Beverages
- Boozy Coconut & Caramel Milkshakes by Momma’s Meals
- Classic Piña Colada by The Chef Next Door
- Coconut Banana Rum Smoothie by Desserts Required
- Coquito by Monica’s Table
- Lime Coconut Lassi by Food Lust People Love
- Piña Colada Agua Fresca by Simply Healthy Family
- Piña Colada Freeze by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Piña Colada Smoothie by A Mind Full Mom
- Spiced Piña Colada by Family Around the Table
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.