Family dinner time is really important to me. Yes, there is a ton of research that validates the importance of gathering every night, turning off the TV, and sharing a meal together as a family. For me, it was how I was raised. There were some years, when my children were involved in sports, that all of us sharing dinner at the table became a huge challenge. At that time, we were lucky if we were all able to eat dinner together four nights a week. We always just did the best we could.This is a recipe that as simple as it is, brings all the kids happily to the table. It is a fun way we switch up Taco Night in our home. Not only do the kids love eating them, Sophia loves helping me prepare them. This is a fun meal to put together after a long day at work. One because the thought of “cupcakes” for dinner makes the kids smile, and two, Sophia loves helping me put these together. Turning on the music and having my step-daughter cook alongside me in the kitchen makes me smile. As much as I can involve the kids in the process, I do. It’s just more time together where I get to hear about their day, and they learn a bit about cooking. I love sharing time with my kids and husband in the kitchen!
One Pound Lean Ground Hamburger
1 packet taco seasoning mix
1 can Kidney Beans
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Package Won Ton WrappersServe with Salsa, Guacamole, and Green Salad
- Pre-heat the oven to 375. Lightly mist cups in a muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- Brown ground beef, drain off fat, and add taco seasoning according to package.
- Add kidney beans and stir for a few minutes until warm.
- Lie a wonton wrapper into the bottom of each cup in the muffin tin. Spoon taco/bean mixture into wrapper. Top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool 5 minutes before removing from muffin tin.
- Top with salsa or guacamole for a bit of “frosting”.
- Serve alongside a green salad.
This recipe works with either won ton wrappers or spring roll wrappers. The wrappers are different from each other, spring roll wrappers made with rice, and won ton wrappers are made from flour. I have successfully made the recipe with both. Simply, one time the store was out of the own ton wrappers, and Sophia was looking forward to our taco cupcakes for dinner, so I picked up a package of spring roll wrappers. The spring roll wrappers are larger, so I needed to cut them down a little. They worked beautifully.