A healthy bagel? I love bagels – all kinds of bagels; cinnamon, blueberry, jalapeño cheese, and my all-time favorite the Everything bagel. When I can’t make up my mind, I go for the Everything! But even I know that a bagel is not a healthy food to eat. Especially since I love mine smeared with cream cheese. Yum!
So when I joined Weight Watchers, I knew that bagels were going to be limited (at best) in my new eating plan. Then I heard about this two ingredient dough made with Greek Yogurt that happens to make yummy bagels.
I knew immediately that I needed to try it! I am so glad that I did because I can now add bagels back into my life. Hip, hip, hooray!
Two Ingredient Healthy Bagels
These bagels are easy to put together, but they do take a bit of time. It takes me about 45 minutes from beginning to end. This includes the baking time. No, it is not as fast as opening the bag of store-bought bagels, but these are actually good for you. And if you are counting Weight Watchers Freestyle points, these are only two points each!
Ingredients (to make four bagels)
- 1 cup Fage plain non-fat Greek yogurt (It needs to be a thick strained non-fat Greek yogurt. Yogurt that is more liquid in consistency will not work.)
- 1 cup self-rising flour
Toppings: Not counted in points
- 1 egg, whisked (zero points)
- Trader Joe’s Everything seasoning (zero points)
- Cinnamon Sugar (points depend on the amount of sugar that you use)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the two ingredients together in a medium sized bowl. It will take a bit of time to fully incorporate the flour into the yogurt.
- Once you have a ball of dough – it will be sticky, you need to knead the dough to make it light and airy.
- In a stand mixer use the dough hook attachment and knead the dough until it no longer sticks to the side of the bowl. If you do not have a stand mixer, you can knead the dough on a floured surface board by hand.
- Break the dough into four equal parts and begin rolling each part into a “snake” like rope.
- Twist each rope into a circle and pinch together the ends until it is one ring.
- Place on baking sheet
- Brush each unbaked bagel with the egg wash and sprinkle on the toppings.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes. I baked mine in the top quarter of the oven to help them get more browned on the top.
Voila! Bagels made with Greek plain non-fat yogurt!
I admit, these bagels are not the same as the ones you are going to be able to buy from your favorite bagel shop, but they are surprisingly good! I like them toasted and topped for breakfast.
My cinnamon version was only ok, because I added way more cinnamon than sugar. Yes, I am counting points. But the one with the Everything seasoning, was the bomb!
Like I said – I love it toasted and topped for breakfast. Here is a very filling seven point breakfast! Toasted two ingredient bagel topped with avocado, sliced Canadian bacon, sautéed mushrooms, and two fried eggs. Yum! This is so big that it makes a better brunch item than breakfast. Of course you can also just enjoy one and share the other with someone else. <3
I have also used this dough to make pizza crust. More on that later!