Oh – YUM! These colorful gems are as tasty as they are beautiful! I am trying hard to eat healthy everyday, and being prepared is what helps me the most! Having healthy and delicious food that is ready to go, like these make-ahead veggie egg “muffins, is one way to make this happen. When I can start my day off smart, I know that I can be successful with my meal plan for the rest of the day.
We have all heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. If your mornings are like mine, they are a bit (maybe more than a bit) hectic. Between getting up the kids, breakfast, packing lunches, feeding the animals and making sure that I get myself to work on time – it is a busy morning! Anything that makes getting a delicious and healthy breakfast on the table is a huge plus in my world, and these Make-Ahead Veggie Egg “Muffins” fit the bill perfectly.
So make up a batch – or a double batch if you have a large family. Each serving contains two eggs. Currently there is not an official recommendation on how many eggs someone should eat in a week, but I like to have these “muffins” for breakfast a few times throughout the week – two or three times.
Make-Ahead Veggie Egg “Muffins” Recipe
Ingredients for 12 muffins (four servings)
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 red bell peppers chopped
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 12 teaspoons of feta cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Nonstick spray
- Muffin tin
- Add olive oil to a large sauté pan and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add all veggies to the pan and stir, cooking until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Crack eight eggs into a bowl and whisk.
- Coat a large muffin tin with nonstick spray.
- Fill twelve of the muffin cups with vegetables.
- Use a tablespoon to pour eggs over veggies, dispersing one tablespoon at a time to each muffin, until each cup is almost full.
- Top each muffin with 1 teaspoon crumbled feta.
- Place in the oven and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes, until eggs are just set.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool; when cool, gently remove the egg muffins from the pan.
- To store Make-Ahead Veggie Egg “Muffins” for later, place a paper towel in the bottom of a food storage container. Place “muffins” onto paper towel and seal container with lid. Store in refrigerator. I have kept these in the fridge for four days.
- Simply reheat in microwave.
Here is your printable version of this tasty and healthy recipe. A perfect way to start your day!